Click small images to enlarge.
Pattern available here.
16 March 2010: I got this sudden urge to knit a cap, mostly to tweak my seamless and stranded knitting techniques, as well as play with jogless rounds, which is fun. I dug around a bit in search of ideas and settled on a beret. I'll knit it in beige and purple just because I happen to have some yarn around that will work. I'll use ideas from existing patterns, but the design will ultimately be mine, as I must use different stitch counts, a different construction, my own artistry.
Having determined stitch counts, I worked a tube hem for the beret's opening. The opening band is being worked in purple because it won't show discoloration from being in contact with skin. I'm keeping the cast on rather loose so the band has plenty stretch. If necessary, a length of elastic can be buried in the tube so the band fits properly and stays in place.
17 March 2010: I worked the increase row today using an invisible increase. I then proceeded with the motifs I had chosen, and had fun making them jogless at the round join. When the motifs were finished, I switched to speckling, also making it jogless, and am now attempting to close the top.
18 March 2010: I'm continuing to work speckles and close the top of the beret.
19 March 2010: I've completed the beret, except am debating about putting a tassle on it. It doesn't demand a tassle, and tassles aren't typical of berets, but I might do it anyway. I also have to persuade daughter to model, which can be a real trick sometimes.
There will be a pattern for this hat, $5.00, as soon as I get it written. That should not take terribly long, as I kept detailed notes while knitting it. It's a quick project that provides excellent practice in circular tube hemming, invisible increases, and jogless rounds. Of course, the knitter can also skip all that stuff and just knit it using standardized methods.
20 March 2010: Okay, I guess I don't have berets out of my system yet. I've started another, with some variations. I'll write a pattern for it as well. So far, it has corrugated ribbing, and will feature a different motif design. I will shape the top a bit differently.
21 March 2010: Finally managed to bribe daughter into modeling the first beret today. She wanted to practice driving. Ha! We did not leave until after the photo shoot. I win. :-) Don't know what I'll do when my models move out of the house.
I continue working on the second beret.
22 March 2010: This second hat has a wider front side, to balance proportions of larger heads and/or faces. The ribbed band is the same size as the previous hat; this style of beret needs to have a somewhat tight fitting band. Like the previous hat, I'm working jogless rounds.
In circular knitting, the point at which each round is joined always produces a jog. The result is that seamless, stranded pieces always have an offset line running through them. Typically, the wearer would put this line in the back or along the side -- somewhere where it's not grossly obvious. However, non-knitters often do not think to do this, and sometimes even wear the horrid offset at the front. With jogless rounds, a few cool little tricks are applied to the rounds to eliminate the offset. The application of these tricks require some thought, as there are different tricks for different specific applications, and each pattern requires decisions as to how to appropriately apply each trick. The patterns I'm writing explain some of the tricks and where to place them.
Pictured at right is the jogless round join. The purple and white tails at bottom mark the join. Follow straight upward through the photo to view the path of the join. If it's difficult to detect any offset, then the jogless round techniques have worked correctly. A round marker is not needed for the speckling.
Day is drawing to an end. I have finished knitting the second hat and also finished writing the pattern. Pattern is for both hats and is entitled "Two Berets." I still have to convince daughter to model the second hat. No telling when that will be -- maybe the next time she wants to drive.
I used Bendigo yarns for this project. I have used Bendigo yarns for years, even though I live on the other side of the big pond. I recommend their yarns. The yarns I used are 5 ply wool "Classic." One of each color is needed, and several hats can be made from that.
23 March 2010: Driving continues to be a great means of bribery. Daughter modeled second hat today, just before we went driving.
Journalized (blogged) collection of design projects:
Web design copyright 1999-2017 by M.L. Arnoldussen. All rights reserved.